The success of making such a concert event, obviously comes with a journey. SSF 2021, in partnership with the National Youth Council and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, will take this journey with Singapore youth who are brave enough to step forward to showcase their talent in this digital concert event. The youth will be supported by mentors and partners throughout the entire process till the final performance.
This is not just any ordinary performance event for group participants or music lovers, but it is your chance to experience something new that is the fi...
Singapore Street Festival (SSF) celebrates its 20th Anniversary with a new theme: NXT – A Virtual Music Event. SSF is going digital this year! Also, we are back to venues where SSF first started 20 years ago, at the Somerset Belt.
SSF is a non-profit social and community project that was founded in 2002. This yearly festival has been in partnership with statutory agencies and strong supporters to provide the youth in Singapore with a platform to showcase their talents, skills and capabilities in the performing arts and visual arts.
SSF 2021 supporting partners are the Academy of Rock, Xctuality, Sistic.Com, Music & Drama Company, CrossRatio and Moulmein-Cairnhill Youth Network. Passion Card is the Privileged Card.
In this 20th Anniversary celebration, SSF in NXT – a virtual music event has commissioned 3 youth composers and garnered a panel of 9 professional mentors to help nurture youths in the area of music.
SSF believes that youth aren’t just the leaders of tomorrow, they are also youth leaders of today. YouthHarmony, a new youth organization is SSF’s adopted youth in training to plan and execute the NXT – a virtual music event. We will also be in collaboration with youths from the Moulmein-Cairnhill Youth Networks during the planning and execution of this project. This new generation of youths are experts in handling creative tools and will be of a great influence to their participating peers.
Registration & Video Submission
Start date: 18 June 2021, 12am
Closing date: 31 Aug 2021, 2pm
How to Participate: (eligibility to participate, submission guidelines and entry requirements)
- NXT – a virtual music event participation in performance is open to all youth in Singapore between the ages of 12 to 35 years old.
- All participants below 18 years of age will be required to have parental or guardianship’s consent, including, signatory approval on the indemnity and waiver form indicated.
- NXT – a virtual music event is only eligible to group participation with a minimum of 2 members and a maximum of 8 members.
- All participating groups must agree to abide by the requirements to participate and be committed to the schedule provided. There is a token registration fee of $10 per group. PAssion Card members are eligible for a 15% discount.
- Registration for NXT - A Virtual Music Event is a 2 step registration on SISTIC.com website:
Step 1: Registering Group Leader and $10 registration token fee.
Step 2: Group Leader will receive an email confirmation after step 1, to continue registration for members in the form provided with the following:
2.1 (a) Group Leader is required to fill up all member details,
(b) Group name,
(c) Upload group photo,
(d) Video submission viewing link
2.2 (a) There is a requirement for the indemnity form be signed by every member of the group.
(b) Should any member be under 18 years old, kindly download the consent form for signatory approval.
All above forms are to be submitted or uploaded as indicated.
All registering groups are required to submit a 3-4 minute performance video of their choice which will be used as audition material for the general public and panelists’ viewing access for a duration of up to 6 weeks, for selection purposes of: (1) panelists selection
Submission of a group picture is compulsory.
- Criteria for Selection
(a) Tone (Sound quality of group/performance)
(b) Rhythm (Tightness of ensemble/team work)
(c) Expression (Musicianship/preparedness/attitude)
(d) Interpretation (Stylistic element/presentation)
(e) Showmanship (Entertainment value/stage presence)
- 9 groups will be selected out of all the submissions.
- All panelists’ decisions for selection is final and NO further correspondence thereafter will be entertained.
- The final 9 selected groups (including all members of each group) will need to make themselves available with compulsory attendance to events stated below:
(a) A dialogue session either in person or online depending on the pandemic situational guidelines in Singapore.
(b) Online composing masterclasses conducted by 3 youth composers. Each composer will pick 3 participating groups to be playing their piece.
SSF has commissioned the 3 youth composers to each Somerset Belt landmark namely:
Landmark 1 - Scape;
Landmark 2 - Red Bus;
Landmark 3 - Skate Park.
(c) Mentorship by 9 professional stellar musicians of their own right from Singapore’s music industry. Each mentor will pick one group to guide them through;
(i) 1-2 workshop/clinic;
(ii) 6-7 rehearsals;
(iii) 2 full-run rehearsals;
(iv) 1-2 full-dress rehearsal/s; and
(v) 1 show recording for the digital concert.
3-part 15-20mins performance for each group, consisting of:
(1) A landmark piece by commissioned Composer – guided by mentors and performance together
(2) Performing their choice works alongside with mentors
(3) Finale performance with Dick Lee; SSF Artists; MDC Artists and Mentors
- SSF as organiser and its supporting partners or sponsors are not responsible for any expenditure incurred by the performing groups in the course of preparation for the digital production; and also, not liable for any injuries arising out of the production making including associated dialogue, masterclasses, workshop/clinics, all rehearsals and show respectively.
- SSF reserves the right to reject any participant registration of NXT – a virtual music event that does not deem fit without any further explanation.
- All participants and friends are welcome to join us on Discord- https://discord.gg/6zgraPkE7s .
The key dates for the NXT – A Virtual Music Event 2021 are as follows:
CLOSING Date for
REGISTRATION & 3-4MIN VIDEO SUBMISSION (Compulsory)
18 Sept 2021
26 Sept 2021
MASTERCLASSES BY 3 COMPOSERS
31 Oct 2021
1 Nov 2021 to
WORKING WITH MENTORS
1 Nov to
REHEARSAL (PART 1) WITH MENTORS
1 Dec to
REHEARSAL (PART 2) WITH MENTORS
18 Dec to
INDIVIDUAL SOUND RECORDING
7 Jan 2022:
9 GROUPS VIDEO RECORDING &
|21 Jan 2022||PREMIERE of SSF’s 20 Anniversary: NXT – A Virtual Music Event|
21 Jan 2022 to
SSF’s 20 Anniversary:NXT - A Virtual Music Event
*Registration and Video Submission closes on 31 Aug 2021.
**Above Schedule are subject to changes
- All participant are required to fill up this indemnity and waiver form.
- Kindly click here to download and fill up the indemnity form.
- Upload the form in the Registration form that you can find in your email confirmation after registration.
Parental Consent Form
- Registrant that is below 18 years old required to fill up this parental consent form.
- Kindly click here to download and fill up the parental consent form.
- Then, upload the form in the Registration form that you can find in your email confirmation after registration.
How do I sign up?
Participants can register for the NXT – a virtual music event through Sistic.com or from the link here.
How old must I be to participate?
The event is open to all youth in Singapore between the ages of 12 to 35 years old.
All participants below 18 years of age will be required to have parental or guardianship’s consent, including, signatory approval on the indemnity and waiver form indicated.
Can I participate as a soloist?
NXT – a virtual music event is only eligible to groups of 2 to 8 members.
All participating groups must agree to abide by the requirements to participate and be committed to the stipulated schedule.
When can we register?
The registration will be open from 18 Jun 2021 till 31 Aug 2021.
Must we join with an original performance/song?
There is no need for the audition performance to be an original performance/song.
Can I submit multiple videos/entries?
A registering member can submit application up to two group entries only. Please inform the SSF office in advance by sending them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I use my handphone to record the submission video?
For all participants who are intending to submit their video recorded using a handphone, kindly contact the SSF office at email@example.com for specific instructions to avoid any rejection issue.
Am I able to replace my members at a later date if and when they need to drop out of the festival?
Yes, SSF office needs to be informed in advance before replacement of any members with valid reasons for approval.
How much time must I commit if my group is selected as a finalist?
Selected participating group have to commit their time as stipulated in the schedule below:
18 Jun to 31 Aug 2021 - Video submission
18 Sep 2021 – Dialogue session (on Zoom)
26 Sep 2021 – Masterclasses by 3 Composers (on Zoom)
31 Oct 2021 - Mentorship/Clinics (on Zoom)
1 Nov 2021 to 15 Dec 2021 – Rehearsals with Mentors (depending on each Mentor schedule)
7 to 10 Jan 2022 – 9 selected groups final recording
Are there any prizes at the end of the festival?
NXT – a virtual music event is a performance event and not a competition so there will be no prizes awarded. All participants will get their e-certificate for their participation.
Do I have to wear a mask for the final performance?
Yes, for now under the current Safety Management Measurements.
Are there any safety management measurements put in place to ensure the safety of the participants during recordings, etc?
All current or prevailing Safety Management Measurements are to be adhered to at any point in time.