Join violist Jeremy Chiew and pianist Shane Thio in a light-hearted afternoon of viola music attributed to composers who didn’t actually write them! Some of the songs include Handel-Casadesus - Viola Concerto in B Minor and Vieuxtemps – Capriccio Op. 55 ‘Hommage à Paganin’.
Receive a $10 Esplanade Mall voucher with every ticket purchased. The voucher will be emailed to ticket holders on the day of the concert. T&C apply.
Start Sales Date
Esplanade&Me Priority Booking
16 Sep 2021, 9am
20 Sep 2021 onwards, 12am
Esplanade Box Office:
20 Sep 2021, 12 noon - 6pm
Approximately 30 minutes, no intermission
Performed in English
Admission Rules of Esplanade:
- All patrons are required to use the TraceTogether app or token via the SafeEntry Gateway. We regret that patrons who do not have the app or the token will be denied entry.
- Admission is subject to tickets produced at the entrance.
- Infants in arms or children below the age of 6 shall not be admitted.
- Children 6 years and above must purchase ticket for admission.
Late Seating Advisory
- You are strongly advised to be seated before the performance start time.
- Latecomers will be admitted during suitable breaks, if any.
- Exceptions may be made at Esplanade's discretion depending on the nature of the performance.
Photography/Video Recording Rules
- No Photography, Video recording and Audio recording is allowed for this event.
- Please note that photographs and videos of patrons may be taken at this event for use in our archival and publicity material.
Help Us Keep Everyone Safe
- Maintain safe distancing between groups.
- Keep your mask on and practice good personal hygiene.
- Use the hand sanitiser provided around the centre and in the performance venues.
- Strictly no food & beverage allowed in the performance venues.
- Esplanade reserves the right not to admit patrons who do not comply with prevailing safe management measures.
- Stay at home if you're unwell.
About Jeremy Chiew
A recipient of the Patricia Sherman Award, violist Jeremy Chiew graduated with a Masters in Viola Performance from the Longy School of Music of Bard College under the tutelage of Dimitri Murrath.
Chiew has been featured as a soloist as well as violist in his earlier years in a variety of ensembles and projects both local and overseas, most notably Macao Orchestra, New England Repertory Orchestra, Boston Civic Symphony and on home ground, re: sound Collective and The Philharmonic Orchestra (TPO).
A frequent recitalist with a keen interest in chamber music, Chiew is also a keen advocate for the viola and maintains a small private teaching studio. Bringing all his interests together, he produced Potpourri, an annual viola recital aimed at increasing awareness of this lesser-known member of the string family. These recitals have seen collaborations with musicians from the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) and T’ang Quartet, as well as involvement from the Singapore National Youth Orchestra (SNYO).
About Shane Thio
Shane Thio received his early music education in Singapore and was awarded an Associated Board Scholarship to study at the Royal Academy of Music in London. At the Academy he won a number of prizes including the Accompanist Award in the Tankard Lieder Competition. Thio is an inaugural recipient of the 1992 National Arts Young Artist Award, which enabled him to pursue further studies at the Royal College of Music.
Thio features regularly with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra as well as with the Magnetic Band, a contemporary music ensemble. He is the resident pianist with the Singapore Symphony Chorus and has performed and toured with the Singapore Youth Choir. He has been a répétiteur with Singapore Dance Theatre, TheatreWorks and Singapore Lyric Opera. In addition, he has worked with The Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, The Philharmonic Chamber Choir, Singapore Chinese Orchestra
As part of the latest safe management measures, Pre-Event Testing (PET) is compulsory for all audiences attending this performance, except for those who have completed the full vaccination against COVID-19#.
Patrons who have yet to complete their vaccination must undergo PET at any of the Ministry of Health (MOH) Approved Test Providers, within 24 hours before the end of the performance, at your own cost. On-site PET is not available at Esplanade for this event.
Children aged 12 and below may be exempted from PET. Limited number of children in this age group will be admitted into the venue upon verification by our ushers at the door. This is to ensure the number of children does not exceed 20% of the total audience size.
#Full vaccination refers to:
• two weeks after the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Moderna or any COVID-19 vaccines under the World Health Organisation's (WHO) emergency use list
• recovery from a COVID-19 infection
Do bring along your negative PET test result notice, photo identification, and mobile device with updated TraceTogether (TT) app or token for SafeEntry check-in. We regret that patrons who do not have their photo ID, the app or token will be denied entry. Please visit MOH website for details.
Standard (with Voucher): $10
Receive a $10 Esplanade Mall Voucher with every standard ticket purchased. Terms and conditions apply.