Be enchanted on this special evening at the Esplanade Concert Hall as Musicians’ Initiative presents Flights of Fantasy, the Platinum Jubilee celebration for iconic pianist Tedd Joselson, who was born in Antwerp, Belgium in 1951. Tedd Joselson’s historic return after a 23-year hiatus will feature the highly anticipated world premiere of the captivating Lim Fantasy of Companionship for Piano and Orchestra (Lim Fantasy) as well as enthralling piano concertos by Tchaikovsky and Brahms. The highly accomplished Alvin Seville Arumugam will be the principal conductor for this one...
Soloist: Tedd Joselson
Tedd Joselson is a Belgian-American pianist who rose to prominence at the tender age of 17 when legendary conductor Eugene Ormandy remarked during his audition with the Philadelphia Orchestra, “Anything you want, you can play with us.”
He quickly became one of the most sought after performers, playing with virtually every notable symphonic ensemble in the world. Since his debut recital during the Great Performer’s Series in New York City’s fabled Lincoln Center, his subsequent recital tours became highly anticipated events that were almost always sold out.
As a recording artist, Tedd Joselson’s repertoire has amassed numerous awards including several Grammy nominations.
Tedd Joselson is truly a living embodiment of prodigy turned legend.
Principal Conductor: Alvin Seville Arumugam
Alvin Arumugam is the Music Director of the Musicians’ Initiative (Singapore). His international engagements have resulted in notable appointments in the last 3 years including Music Director of the South Asian Symphony Orchestra (South Asia) and Nimrod Orchestra (London). From 2001 to 2021 he also served as Resident Conductor at several award winning wind orchestras.
Alvin has extensive experience in conducting and band pedagogy having not only been the Concertmaster for the Singapore Armed Forces Band, but also Singapore’s representative in the World Music Contest Conducting Masterclass and Competition in 2017. As an opera conductor, Alvin conducted the Musicians’ Initiative in its collaboration with The Opera People in staging Il Re Pastore and Der Zwerg.
Alvin is a graduate of the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music (NUS) with a degree in Masters of Music (Conducting). He is currently pursuing a Masters’ degree in Performance (Orchestral Conducting) at the Royal College of Music, London which has consistently ranked as the top conservatoire globally.
Orchestra: Musicians’ Initiative
Musicians’ Initiative is a Singapore-based Non-Profit Organisation with a mission to nurture the artistic growth of aspiring professional musicians to be among the world's best. Established in 2016, the Orchestra also focuses on the development of innovative and bold performances that aims to make classical music accessible to all. In line with its mission, MI stages its wildly popular “Your Experience” series. In late 2021, the orchestra was the first in Singapore to boldly present a fully staged operatic double bill as the pandemic situation improved.
Dedication to honing the ensemble skills of its musicians at the highest level to challenge the musical standards in Singapore has allowed the Orchestra to perform with names such as Kanon Matsuda, Neil Varon and allowed for collaborations with industry partners such as The Opera People. Musicians’ Initiative aspires to provide a holistic experience to its audience with productions that push the boundaries of classical music performances, with an ultimate aim of redefining orchestral music in Singapore.
Start Sales Date
22 April 2022, 9am
22 April 2022, 10am
Approximately 140 minutes including 20 minutes interval
Rating/ Age Limit
- Rating: General
- No admission for infants in arms
- Children must be age 7 and above to be admitted into the hall.
- Children under 7 will not be admitted into the hall, even with a ticket.
- Please bring along proof of child’s age, such as a student concession pass, as random checks may be conducted at the venue.
- Parents or guardians of children admitted are strongly encouraged to purchase aisle seats.
- We reserve the right to ask parents to bring children out of the hall should they be disruptive during the performance.
- There is no admission without a ticket.
Late Seating Advisory
- You are strongly advised to be seated 30 minutes before the performance start time
- No admission will be allowed into the venue once the performance has commenced
- Exceptions may be made at Esplanade's discretion depending on the nature of the performance
Photography / Video Recording Rules
- Non-flash photography, videography is allowed for this event.
- Please note that photographs and videos of patrons may be taken at this event for use in our archival and publicity material.
Help Us Keep Everyone Safe
- Maintain safe distancing between groups.
- No changing of seats is allowed.
- All audiences must be masked at all times and practice good personal hygiene.
- Use the hand sanitiser provided around the centre and in the performance venues.
- Strictly no food & beverage allowed in the performance venues.
- Esplanade reserves the right not to admit patrons who do not comply with prevailing safe management measures.
- Stay at home if you're unwell.
From 1 Jan 2022, there will no longer be a concession for unvaccinated individuals to perform Pre-Event Testing in lieu of being fully vaccinated. All patrons (except for children aged 12 and below) need to be fully vaccinated# against COVID-19.
#Full vaccination refers to:
- having received the appropriate regimen of World Health Organisation Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL) vaccines including their respective duration post-vaccination for the vaccine to be fully effective, and had their vaccination records ingested in MOH's national IT systems
- recovery from a COVID-19 infection within the last 180 days
All patrons are required to do SafeEntry check-in at the venue via the TraceTogether app (version 2.11 and above). Other modes of SafeEntry check-in will not be accepted.
- S$15 for Child (age 7-12 years old), Student, Senior Citizen (age 55 years and above) and NSF
- Verification: Present valid student ID/IC/SAF11B
- Please note that random checks on concession tickets will be conducted at the point of entry
- Patrons unable to present proof of eligibility are required to upgrade their concession tickets to full price tickets