Early Bird Sale
13 Sep 2018, 9am - 28 Sep 2018, 12am
13 Sep 2018, 10am - 27 Sep 2018, 8pm
28 Sep 2018, 12am
28 Sep 2018, 10am
APPROVED FOR ADOPTION
By Jung and Laurent Boileau
Jung is a comic artist. While his Belgian identification card lists his age as close to 44 years, Jung sees himself as five years younger: he regards his “real” birth date as the day that a Korean policeman found him wandering the streets of Seoul alone. He was eventually adopted by a Belgian family and is now part of the Korean diaspora, one of 200,000 Koreans who were abandoned in the Korean War and sent away from their motherland to new homes around the world.
Approved for Adoption documents the now-adult Jung’s first trip back to South Korea, where he is compelled to relive childhood memories of growing up in a foreign country as an adoptee of a different ethnicity. These memories are presented through home videos and animated vignettes made from his drawings. This return to his birth country—and his past—surfaces unresolved emotions, and Jung grapples with accepting himself through his art.
Approved for Adoption clinched the Audience Award at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival (2012), the Grand Prize for Animation at the Japan Media Arts Festival (2013) as well as the Grand Prix and Audience Award at the Animafest Zagreb (2013).
Early Bird Sale
In French and Korean with English subtitles
France, Belgium, South Korea, Switzerland
Approximately 71 minutes
Rating / Age Limit
- Rating: NC16 (Some nudity)
- No admission for infants in arms.
- Admission is subject to tickets and valid IDs produced at the entrance.
Photography / Video Recording Rules
- No flash photography or videography is permitted in the galleries.
- Still photography (no flash) for non-commercial use is permitted.
- Photography may not be permitted in the special exhibition galleries.
- Use of selfie sticks and tripods is also not permitted in the galleries.
- No food and drink (including bottled water) is permitted in the galleries.
- Tickets are only valid on the stipulated date, and for one entry.
- Tickets cannot be refunded, sold or exchanged, and are void if altered.
- Concession tickets are only valid for visitors who meet the concessionary requirements.
Through All SISTIC Channels
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Adult
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Senior (with valid ID)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Student (with valid student pass)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird NSF (with valid 11B card)
[Applicable from 13 Sep 2018 till 27 Sep 2018]
Jung (b. 1965) is a Belgian comic artist who was born in South Korea. After studying illustration in Brussels, he began his career as an illustrator for magazines Spirou and Tintin. He has since illustrated numerous comic books and graphic novels, including the series The Little Girl and the Wind (1997–1999) and Kwaidan (2001–2003). Approved for Adoption is adapted from his 2006 black-and-white graphic novel, Skin Color: Honey.
Laurent Boileau (b. 1968) is a French director. He spent ten years as a cinematographer and editor for documentaries, before making his directorial debut with A Mill in the Wind (1999). Passionate about comics and the graphic arts, he has created several related works, including the animated short Lady of the Night (2013). He also animates France Télévisions’ cartoon website.