Early Bird Sale
13 Sep 2018, 9am - 28 Sep 2018, 12am
13 Sep 2018, 10am - 27 Sep 2018, 8pm
28 Sep 2018, 12am
28 Sep 2018, 10am
THE TAILOR / CÔ BA SÀI GÒN
By Tran Buu Loc and Kay Nguyen
What if The Devil Wears Prada were set in Vietnam? The Tailor, a romantic comedy that spans more than 40 years from 1969 to 2017, takes place in the vibrant fashion world of Saigon. Its leading character is the ao dai, the traditional Vietnamese dress.
Nhu Y is the impetuous young heiress to Thanh Nu, the most prestigious fashion house in Saigon, established by nine generations of ao dai couturiers. Nhu Y is vocal about her contempt for the ao dai, considering it a relic from a bygone era. She rebels against and her family and refuses to learn the traditional craft. However, a magical twist takes Nhu Y on a humbling journey of self-discovery. She realises the extraordinary value of her heritage and races against time to save the family business with the creation of a modern ao dai. The Tailor is a heart-warming tale that celebrates the enduring beauty of Vietnamese artistry and vitality of contemporary Vietnamese commercial cinema.
The Tailor premiered at Busan International Film Festival in 2017. In 2018, it won Best Feature Film at the Vietnamese Golden Kite Awards and was screened at the Gothenburg Film Festival.
Early Bird Sale
In Vietnamese and English with English subtitles
Approximately 100 minutes
Rating / Age Limit
- Rating: PG
- No admission for infants in arms.
- Admission is subject to tickets and valid IDs produced at the entrance.
Photography / Video Recording Rules
- No flash photography or videography is permitted in the galleries.
- Still photography (no flash) for non-commercial use is permitted.
- Photography may not be permitted in the special exhibition galleries.
- Use of selfie sticks and tripods is also not permitted in the galleries.
- No food and drink (including bottled water) is permitted in the galleries.
- Tickets are only valid on the stipulated date, and for one entry.
- Tickets cannot be refunded, sold or exchanged, and are void if altered.
- Concession tickets are only valid for visitors who meet the concessionary requirements.
Through All SISTIC Channels
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Adult
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Senior (with valid ID)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Student (with valid student pass)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird NSF (with valid 11B card)
[Applicable from 13 Sep 2018 till 27 Sep 2018]
Tran Buu Loc (b. 1982) is one of Vietnam’s most important producers. After more than ten years in the film industry, he made his directorial debut in 2017 with The Tailor, which he co-directed with Kay Nguyen. His most recent work is Coming Home for Tet (2018), which he produced.
Kay Nguyen (b. 1984) has been working in the film and television industries in the USA, Japan and Vietnam for the past 13 years. She is also the co-founder of A Type Machine, a company that nurtures young creative talents in Vietnam.