Early Bird Sale
13 Sep 2018, 9am - 28 Sep 2018, 12am
13 Sep 2018, 10am - 27 Sep 2018, 8pm
28 Sep 2018, 12am
28 Sep 2018, 10am
By Ramona S. Diaz
Motherland takes us into the heart of the busiest maternity hospital in one of the poorest and most populous countries—the Philippines. Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital in Manila is a refuge for expectant mothers surviving below the poverty line, most of whom cannot afford contraception or the $60 delivery fee. It administers as many as 100 deliveries a day and treats sick infants at highly subsidised rates.
Director Ramona Diaz employs an absorbingly intimate, vérité approach in documenting the daily routines of the hospital—nurses taming the chaos of emergency arrivals, mothers recovering in beds with double or triple occupancy, parents providing “Kangaroo Mother Care” to premature babies. Once these become familiar, the individual stories emerge. The film follows three women—Lea, Lerma and Aira—over the course of their stay, amidst many others who forge fleeting but profound relationships with other mothers, nurses and social workers. Motherland testifies to the warmth, generosity and fortitude of those who live on the margins of society, and those who sustain them.
Motherland won the Editing Award for World Cinema – Documentary at the Sundance Film Festival (2017) and the Viktor Award at the Munich International Documentary Festival (2017). Brillante Mendoza is the film’s Executive Producer.
Early Bird Sale
In Tagalog and English with English subtitles
Approximately 94 minutes
Rating / Age Limit
- Rating: T.B.A.
- No admission for infants in arms.
- Admission is subject to tickets and valid IDs produced at the entrance.
Photography / Video Recording Rules
- No flash photography or videography is permitted in the galleries.
- Still photography (no flash) for non-commercial use is permitted.
- Photography may not be permitted in the special exhibition galleries.
- Use of selfie sticks and tripods is also not permitted in the galleries.
- No food and drink (including bottled water) is permitted in the galleries.
- Tickets are only valid on the stipulated date, and for one entry.
- Tickets cannot be refunded, sold or exchanged, and are void if altered.
- Concession tickets are only valid for visitors who meet the concessionary requirements.
Through All SISTIC Channels
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Adult
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Senior (with valid ID)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Student (with valid student pass)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird NSF (with valid 11B card)
[Applicable from 13 Sep 2018 till 27 Sep 2018]
Ramona S. Diaz is best known for her compelling character-driven documentaries that have screened and won awards at Sundance Film Festival, Berlinale, Tribeca Film Festival, and many others. In 2016, she was awarded the prestigious Guggenheim Fellowship and was inducted into the Academy of Motion Picture Arts Sciences.