Early Bird Sale
13 Sep 2018, 9am - 28 Sep 2018, 12am
13 Sep 2018, 10am - 27 Sep 2018, 8pm
28 Sep 2018, 12am
28 Sep 2018, 10am
IN JACKSON HEIGHTS
By Frederick Wiseman
Jackson Heights in Queens, New York City, is one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse neighbourhoods in the United States. There are immigrants from every country in South and Central America, as well as large communities from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Afghanistan, Thailand, Nepal and Tibet. Some are citizens, some have green cards, some are undocumented. Together, they speak 167 languages and represent the new wave of immigrants to the United States.
Veteran director Frederick Wiseman quietly observes the residents as they go about their daily lives at their businesses, community centres, religious institutions and street festivals. In doing so, he captures their struggle to uphold traditions from their countries of origin while adapting to American ways and values. The social and economic issues that they face in their efforts for assimilation, integration and inclusivity parallel those of their counterparts in other major cities around the world. As with all his films, Wiseman adopts a direct cinema approach to documenting life in Jackson Heights, painting a broad and complex portrait of contemporary life.
In Jackson Heights has been screened in prestigious festivals worldwide including the Venice Film Festival (2015), Toronto International Film Festival (2015), Busan International Film Festival (2015) and Copenhagen International Documentary Festival (2015). It garnered the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Non-Fiction Film (2015).
Early Bird Sale
In English, Spanish and Arabic with English subtitles
Approximately 189 minutes
Rating / Age Limit
- Rating: M18 (Some mature content)
- No admission for infants in arms.
- Admission is subject to tickets and valid IDs produced at the entrance.
Photography / Video Recording Rules
- No flash photography or videography is permitted in the galleries.
- Still photography (no flash) for non-commercial use is permitted.
- Photography may not be permitted in the special exhibition galleries.
- Use of selfie sticks and tripods is also not permitted in the galleries.
- No food and drink (including bottled water) is permitted in the galleries.
- Tickets are only valid on the stipulated date, and for one entry.
- Tickets cannot be refunded, sold or exchanged, and are void if altered.
- Concession tickets are only valid for visitors who meet the concessionary requirements.
Through All SISTIC Channels
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Adult
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Senior (with valid ID)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Student (with valid student pass)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird NSF (with valid 11B card)
[Applicable from 13 Sep 2018 till 27 Sep 2018]
Frederick Wiseman (b. 1930) has directed over 40 documentaries since 1967 that explore the human experience in a wide variety of contemporary social institutions. His first film, Titicut Follies (1967) saw him venturing inside a Massachusetts hospital for the criminally insane. Since then, his subjects have included a ballet company in New York and National Gallery London. He received the IFDA Living Legend Award in 2009, the Golden Lion for Career Achievement in 2014 and the Academy Honorary Award in 2016.