Early Bird Sale
13 Sep 2018, 9am - 28 Sep 2018, 12am
13 Sep 2018, 10am - 27 Sep 2018, 8pm
28 Sep 2018, 12am
28 Sep 2018, 10am
THE GRADUATION / LE CONCOURS
By Claire Simon
The Graduation documents the rigorous admissions process of La Fémis, France’s most prestigious film school. The process winnows thousands of applicants down to just a fortunate few, who get the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of famous alumni such as Louis Malle, François Ozon, Claire Denis, Rithy Panh and Alain Resnais.
The lengthy process begins with a three-hour written test assessed by a diverse group of veteran industry professionals including directors, educators, distributors and critics. Successful candidates move on to a series of interviews and practical tests, where examiners challenge their skills, ambitions and even personalities in a quest to select the most exceptional. Filmed with cool, vérité detachment, these heated debates reveal a portrait of the art world’s obsession with excellence, and its members’ consternation over who should be permitted to join their ranks. The film’s underlying message appears to be that being good is not good enough for the institution, and ultimately asks who should have the final say.
The Graduation won the highly-coveted Best Documentary on Cinema award at the Venice Film Festival in 2016. It went on to screen at numerous film festivals worldwide, including the BFI London Film Festival (2016) and the Copenhagen International Documentary Film Festival (2017).
Early Bird Sale
In French with English subtitles
Approximately 121 minutes
Rating / Age Limit
- Rating: PG (Some sexual references)
- No admission for infants in arms.
- Admission is subject to tickets and valid IDs produced at the entrance.
Photography / Video Recording Rules
- No flash photography or videography is permitted in the galleries.
- Still photography (no flash) for non-commercial use is permitted.
- Photography may not be permitted in the special exhibition galleries.
- Use of selfie sticks and tripods is also not permitted in the galleries.
- No food and drink (including bottled water) is permitted in the galleries.
- Tickets are only valid on the stipulated date, and for one entry.
- Tickets cannot be refunded, sold or exchanged, and are void if altered.
- Concession tickets are only valid for visitors who meet the concessionary requirements.
Through All SISTIC Channels
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Adult
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Senior (with valid ID)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird Student (with valid student pass)
S$8.00 per ticket for Early Bird NSF (with valid 11B card)
[Applicable from 13 Sep 2018 till 27 Sep 2018]
Claire Simon (b. 1955) is a French scriptwriter, actress, cinematographer, editor and director. Her first two fiction feature films, Sinon, oui (1997) and Ça brûle (2006) were both presented at the Cannes Film Festival Directors’ Fortnight, and her documentary Mimi (2003) was presented at the Berlinale (2003). Simon was formerly the head of the Directing department at La Fémis.