New mom and soprano Akiko Otao brings you Baby Book by Lauren Spavelko with her long time collaborator, Pauline Lee. Winner of the 2017 G.C. Menotti Competition for Young Composers, the song cycle beautifully illustrates a woman’s journey of miscarriage, pregnancy and motherhood. Get ready to laugh in They Don’t Let You in the Opera (If You’re a Country Star), where we will tell you the story of the baby’s hilarious birth (at the opera!). Bring your mother, daughter, and favourite aunty to celebrate womanhood.
Start Sales Date
Esplanade&Me Priority Booking
18 Mar 2021, 9am
22 Mar 2021, 9am onwards
Esplanade Box Office:
18 Mar 2021, 12 noon - 6pm
Approximately 30 minutes
Admission Rules of Esplanade:
- All patrons are required to do SafeEntry check-in at the venue via the TraceTogether app or token only. Other modes of SafeEntry check-in will not be accepted from 24 Apr 2021. To ensure a smooth entry, please download the TraceTogether app ahead of the performance if you have not already done so. We regret that patrons who do not have the app or the token will be denied entry.
- Admission is subject to tickets produced at the entrance.
- Infants in arms or children below the age of 6 shall not be admitted.
- Children above 6 years must purchase ticket for admission.
Late Seating Advisory
- You are strongly advised to be seated before the performance start time.
- Latecomers will be admitted during suitable breaks, if any.
- Exceptions may be made at Esplanade's discretion depending on the nature of the performance.
Photography/Video Recording Rules
- No Photography, Video recording and Audio recording is allowed for this event.
- Please note that photographs and videos of patrons may be taken at this event for use in our archival and publicity material.
Help Us Keep Everyone Safe
- Maintain safe distancing between groups.
- Keep your mask on and practice good personal hygiene.
- Temperature screening is implemented at all entrances.
- Use the hand sanitiser provided around the centre and in the performance venues.
- Strictly no food & beverage allowed in the performance venues.
- Unless otherwise stated, audiences are not required to go through pre-event Antigen Rapid Test.
- Esplanade reserves the right not to admit patrons who do not comply with prevailing safe management measures.
- Stay at home if you're unwell.
“…a tour de force”-Straits Times
“...commanding presence with powerful feelings and a voice to match.”-Opera Magazine
Singapore based Japanese-American soprano Akiko is an arts practitioner, educator and the co-artistic director of L’arietta Productions, a chamber opera company focused on bringing operas that are bite-sized, relevant and in English. She debuted in Singapore as the leading role of Nora in John Sharpley's world premiere of Fences. Selected credits include the title role in Alice in Wonderland, Kannagi, Soprano in The Four Note Opera, Drusilla in L’incoronazione di Poppea, and Musetta in La Boheme. No stranger to contemporary work, her performance in the monodrama Diary of Anne Frank received The Straits Times’ Best of 2015 in the opera category. In 2018 she also won in the same category for Chen Zhangyi’s A Singapore Trilogy, where she played the Daughter in the newly commissioned Kopi for One. Her musical versatility and comfort in acting as well as dance continues to bring her an eclectic collection of projects. She is currently on the voice faculty at School of the Arts (SOTA) and Lasalle College of the Arts.
Pauline Lee graduated with a Master's degree (MMus) and Fellowship of the Royal Schools of Music (FRSM) from Royal Northern College of Music, UK. Winner of Silver Prize in Asia International Piano Academy Festival & Competition in Korea and also Pianist Prize in Chris Petty English Song Competition, Pauline has also performed in concerts, festivals and events in England, Wales, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore. She was selected to participate in the notable Lucerne Festival am Piano masterclass with Andreas Haefliger, which culminated in a performance at the KKL Luzern Hall.
Today, Pauline is an active chamber musician, accompanist and répétiteur in Singapore. She has played for various opera companies, such as Singapore Lyric Opera, New Opera Singapore, The Opera People and L'arietta Productions. In addition to running a private teaching studio, Pauline keeps a happy schedule performing recitals and working as an adjunct accompanist at School of the Arts (SOTA). She is grateful to her inspiring teachers Stephen Savage, Martin Roscoe, Oh Hye-Rin, Gan Choo Kheng and Lucien Wang for everything they have generously taught her.
Standard (with Voucher): $10
Receive a $10 Esplanade Mall Voucher with every standard ticket purchased. Terms and conditions apply.